Thursday, July 13, 2006

Million-Dollar Smile

So I just went to the dentist today for my second time this week. Between the two visits, I had 15 gazillion cavities filled. (I bet you didn’t know that I even had 15 gazillion teeth, eh?) Despite the physical pain and monetary pain involved with having cavities filled, I’m still smiling.

No, I’m not going crazy just yet. I’m happy, you fool. Why? After spending the last six months on my company’s dental HMO plan, I had become frustrated with the shady and unclean dentists. I’d found myself shopping around for dentists based on their prices — which is never a good way to find someone who’s sticking their stuff in your mouth. The first dentist (without even looking at my teeth) told me I had 30 gazillion cavities, and that I would have to pay for everything out of pocket. What? The second dentist told me I had no cavities, but the place had graffiti on the door, and the hygienist had stains on his smock. Not the best experiences…

So after talking to an office manager in a dental office and my insurance company, I realized just how much better switching to the PPO was. It wasn’t any more each month, and I actually got to choose my dentist — or switch any time I wanted. And I’d actually save money if I had anything other than x-rays done. Knowing that I had a few cavities (I could feel them), I got on the PPO. I also got a great dentist with a clean office. And I saved $1000 by having my cavities filled under the PPO. And I’ve got a smile that isn’t worth a thousand dollars.

3 comments:

Thoroughly Amused said...

Maybe one of these days you'll return a phone call and I'll get to see it.

;-) Miss ya Rusty

E said...

Maybe one of these days I'll actually be a grownup and learn the difference between HMO and PPO.

jaynar said...

Yeah, growing up is definitely no fun.