Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Two Revelations

1. I LOVE Rascal Flatts. I'd forgotten how much I loved this band until I saw them in concert this weekend. I'd seen them perform a couple of songs at a festival a couple of years ago, but this time they were the headliners and were awesome. Sitting there in the audience, I could forget about all that was on my mind. And when they played their older songs and a few covers, I was taken back to days long gone.












2. Vegas is for trash. So, I doubt this revelation is all that groundbreaking for you, but it was something that I just realized. On my fourth trip to LAS in three months, I finally saw just what Vegas was. I'd heard people in the past call Vegas a theme park for adults. That description is quite fitting because, let's be honest, theme parks don't really have the top o' the class. (And yes, I realize that I have spent many days/nights in theme parks AND Vegas...)

The shows in Vegas are nothing more than glorified peep shows (which are just down the strip from the not-so-glorified ones); the casinos, pools and hotels are brimming with sluts, smoke and sweat; and the bars pander to the wannabe wealthy. I mean, really now. Those VIP rooms aren't filled with real VIP but guys who live beyond their means and know they can only get into the club if they reserve a VIP room or cabana. (It's not the 80s anymore. Real luxury and VIP status can't be bought. If you have to buy it, that's just even more proof that you're not a VIP.)

But the sad thing is that most of the people who go to Vegas can't see that they're trash. (Me? I realize I've got some trash to me...I mean, my mom's family has quite a bit of redneck history.) They think that their money or clothes or family name keeps them from being trash. But really, they're just trashy folk with money, nice clothes or a well-recognized name.

3 comments:

Thoroughly Amused said...

If you really wanna see how trashy Vegas is drive into it from the East and you'll see it all piled up on the sides of the road right where the wind deposits it. It's a town for people with no imagination and an appetite for all things fake.

E said...

Hey baby, is that you? My your hair got so long...

jaynar said...

And all along I thought I was the only semi-Southern Asian who liked country...