My life and personality have some problems. One of the things I have most recently begun to dislike about myself is how I communicate with others. I normally (in fact probably never) have made New Year's Resolutions, but last night I decided I would make a couple relating to communications:
1. I will listen when people talk. This means I won't just be thinking about another story that I can tell. I will ask them questions. I will not just say, "fun!" or "sounds like fun!" in response to a comment that I was either barely listening to or when I can't figure out a way to relate said comment/story to my own life.
2. I will be nicer to strangers. I will make eye contact and smile when others initiate conversations. I will talk to others as if I were in Missouri or New York...or somewhere that isn't LA because I'm much friendlier outside of LA; I will strike up conversations with others on a regular basis.
My only problem is that these are not measurable goals. Ah, well...guess that means I'll have to count on friends to hold me accountable.
Sunday, January 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I think you are a better listener than you give yourself credit for. Otherwise, you would not be a journalista.
And by the way, I am totally jealous of that floral tool set. That is really only something you can come by in the midwest.
Sweet, I'm gonna test you on that first one. So what stories where you thinking about when I was talking to you today? Just to see if you were listening, how many times did I ski in Vermont?
I am happy to say I have been thoughtful of my resolutions. (Thanks, O for your praise) However, it is a work in progress. I have no idea how many times you went skiing, I'm sorry. I know it was before Christmas, though. Right?
I'm working on this.
Yup, the one day I went was Christmas Eve.
hahahaha, j, you totally say "Fuuuuun!" And you draw it out like that, now I know it was only 'cause you weren't listening! Kidding, don't be so hard on yourself. I think it's only human nature to tend to wanna revert back to yourself once in awhile. I can think of many times when you have been a good listener to me, and you responded without using the "f" word. :) love, tina
Post a Comment