Rooting for the home team was a suggestion one service journalism piece gave for people who move cities and are trying to make new friends. That suggestion sickened me when I read it in college, and it sickens me now. Just because you live near a team is no reason to like it. And I hate those people who do.
The last week has been a pain in my arse because I had weave my way in and out of USC "fans." These people don Trojan clothing and act as though they've been fans for life. These are the people I want to tell to get a life. So, in an effort to vent, I've compiled a list of unacceptable reasons that pseudo-fans use for claiming fan status.
1. I like the uniform colors.
2. I like the mascot.
3. I like cheering for a winning team.
4. It's the only team I've ever seen play.
5. I don't know who to cheer for.
6. I married into it/my boyfriend/girlfriend is a fan.
Actually 7. My ________ is a fan.
8. _________ is hot.
9. _________ seems really nice.
10. Pretty much anything that has nothing to do with the game...
This could be one of the only times I want Texas to win anything. At least I won't have to hear about USC and Matt Leinert for the next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
That was one of the best games I've ever seen last night and seeing USC get bitch slapped off there high horse was even sweeter. We all know that Vince Young should've one the Heisman and last night he proved it. To quote Matt and his SC arrogance, "I still think we're the better team, they just made the plays tonight." Ok Matt go sit down and think about how you guys just total blew it in the last 6 minutes of the game. If you were the better team you would've won.
I'm in total agreement with you and the thing that gets me the most is when fans say "we should've one that game" instead of "they should've one that game." Huh, last I checked you weren't on the team.
word.
Jayna, some clarification please. You say that just because you live near a team doesn't mean you root for it. Do you mean move to a new place and root for that team? Isn't location the whole reason to root for a team? And not to turn this into sports talk, but there is no way Vince Young should have won the Hesiman. No one was close to him for 2nd, without a doubt, but Bush had the more impressive year.
Matt, here's your clarification: I mean you don't start rooting for a team simply because you've changed locations and want to meet people. And location isn't the whole reason...are you a Dodgers fan now?
And, in all honesty, I didn't watch USC or Texas enough to know who should've won the Heisman. BUT I did find the discussions on talk radio interesting this morning on one station. They were discussing the possibility of Reggie Bush throwing the game and how much he could've made from doing that...and looking at his stats. I would like to believe that college sports are pure...but if there were ever a time to make money from a game, Bush had his chance...
Here in Motown all the talk about the National Championship game was a) how Reggie Bush is Chauncey Billup's cousin, b)how Michigan was in every highlight reel for both teams and c)how much the Lions suck. Sorry just threw that in there.
I find it funny that you bring up this how are you a fan thing because I get that all the time with the Red Sox. I moved to Boston and became a Red Sox fan. Does that include me in the category. I hated baseball and all my friends out there loved it. The great part is I fell in love with the team and the game. Something I probably wouldn't have done if I hadn't lived out there. Point being...being a fan or becoming one should be more about passion for the game, the team, etc. and less about thinking you are cool.
Michelle-
Tough situation there with the Red Sox. Here's my take:
One key factor is that you were never a Tigers fan. Changing loyalty is a big no-no, especially if it is the result of a move. You were around the passion and love of the game, and you were overwhelmed by it. Your lack of previous attachment makes you accepted as a fan.
However, and I mean absolutely no offense by this, because your dedication to the team was a choice, you can never reach the same level of attachment as those who were brought up learning to love the team. It's impossible to replace the blind childhood love for a team brought on by connection to a community or family. Hours of games with Dad, Uncles and Aunts, Grandfather. Stories of first games in Fenway, Ted Williams perfection, Jim Rice's power, countless managers' inept decision making skills. It's impossible to replace the awful discomfort felt as a child when a room full of grown men and women falls silent after excrutiating losses. Feelings and beliefs are seared (sp?) into your heart and mind. In the end, no matter how many countless heartbreaks or moments of elation, there will always be you and the Team, inseperable, part of your very being.
I in no way shun fans who did not go through these experiences. I love the fact that people appreciate the insanity, and I love the team having so much support. The fact remains, that no matter how in love you may be, it's hard to match the dysfunctional and codependent nature of a childhood relationship.
I agree with you Matt...when I was a kid I actually went to the 1984 World Series at Tiger Stadium with my dad and grandma. I don't think I really knew way was there and never really formed that connection with the team. I liked the Tigers but we never went as a family to the games. Baseball wasn't our thing. I played it but that was about all.
I think what brought me back to the game was those relationships that you talk about in that particular city (Boston). I fell in love with the city as much as the one I grew up in. I fell in love with the people and their team. And I will raise my kids Red Sox fans (despite the boyfriend being a Yankees fan).
I just think that passion has everything to do with it. I am a passionate Michigan fan because of my father...Bo as in Bo Schembachler was my first word and our doorbell rang the michigan fight song. But just because I didn't choose to attend there (no J school) doesn't mean I don't love the football program any less. It, like you said above, brings back the great family time we had tailgating, traveling the schools of the Big 10 and going to the 1990 Rose Bowl.
Now I am a Tigers season ticket holder because I just love baseball and I go to UofM games with my mom because it brings us together despite my father's passing.
Amazing how sports does this to us!!
Post a Comment