Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I Miss U.

Although this weekend's movies were entertaining, the most entertaining 2 1/2 hours I've seen in the last three days was the video I just watched of my last 2 1/2 weeks of college. I was missing my college friends a bit, and I thought this would cure it. It was the perfect dose of something. That's for sure.

As I watched a three-night stint which included Harpo's, Senior Sendoff and a night after Big 12 campus, I realized just how crazy Jayna used to be (and just how easily she could've been mistaken for a hussy). And I noticed how freaking hilarious I was as well. I miss the old Jayna: the one who tells other people's secrets to a whole group of people, the one who forced random guys to break dance in the dining room, the one who told #24 from Oklahoma he was a loser because he didn't know what a Sooner was. ("I know what a Tiger is!" was my response.)

And I of course miss Harpo's. I know I talk about this place way too much, but really, it wasn't the place (I tried Harpo's once on a Saturday non-game night, and it wasn't pretty). It was the people who showed up there on a Thursday night that I miss. If the bar from the TV show Cheers were transplanted into my life, Harpo's would be it. That bar was a place where everybody(or at least the cool ones, hehehe) knew my name and were always glad I came. And it had everything a girl could ask for: quarter draws (or whiskey sours), photo hunt and a really cute bartender who gave me free shots (who I TOTALLY forgot about until about an hour ago -- dang, why was I so shy in college?).

But more than Harpo's I miss the people who came to Harpo's and the people in general that were from that time. This video served as a great reminder of the wonderful people I was surrounded by in college. I had my roommates, rLife crew, the freshman-year kids, the NY crowd, the magazine peeps, SAB folk, the res. life people...the list goes on and on. And I miss you all. I miss the times we spent teasing each other, the times we joked about Ranly (who I totally forgot fell asleep during the graduation speeches), the times you teased me about how innocent I was freshman year, the times staying late in Hearnes just to bask in the atmosphere, the times we ate and drank at the Berg, the times we wrote messages on my notes back and forth about a guy in class and idiot me let him borrow the notes, the times spent harassing baseball players from around the Big 12, the times spending Sundays eating burgers at Boone's, the times I told you way more personal information than you needed to know, the times I convinced you that you had told your personal information to someone else and that's how they knew, the times just chillin' in the house. In short, I miss you. I miss the carefree life we had in college. I miss me, too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

and i miss you too!

danielle said...

Oh Jayna....how silly. I miss the Berg happy hour sessions after various journalism classes. Funny, my only memory of Harpos is walking in to meet Avery and big P and others for quarter draws and being so taken aback by the hussy looking sorority hoes that I walked down the isle yelling and pointing.."Clones! Clones! You're all Clones!". Ah how we have changed. Oh wait. Maybe me not so much. ha!

Thoroughly Amused said...

They don't call em the good ol' days for nothing.

Anonymous said...

geez, j! way to bring tears to my eyes before bedtime! boo. xo, tina

Michelle said...

I miss you so much! I miss our Friday nights at the Vu as well! Rally night, Shiloh so we could try and hang out with Quinny! Trops during baseball games. I want to go back so bad it isn't funny. My Senior year with you and Mel and the SAB crowd was by far up to this point the best year of my life! Ok DC and Boston weren't too bad either but that year ruled! I should be dead by now from all the drinking and eating at Hardee's after the bar I did. For me it was so long ago now that I could have graduated twice...yep...four years ago this May! Kill me!