November is officially here. Yesterday's conversation with my mom ended with, "So how's the weather been? Could you use any light-weight sweaters? Well then, what could we get you for Christmas?" What followed was the reason Christmas is not my favorite holiday. If it were all about family and food, it'd be great...but the actual act of giving and getting gifts has lost most of its fun for me.
When I was younger, I liked opening Christmas gifts simply because I liked surprises, but by about age 13, I stopped liking presents. I began to realize that my parents always got me a pink sweater (while my sister got a matching blue one), and my grandma always gave me long johns. When I could handle that no longer, my sister began shopping for me and putting Santa/mom/dad on it. At least then it was something usable and (generally) wearable. Now, with my sister not living in the house, presents have gone to the wayside. And this wouldn't be so bad except that my parents really expect me to LOVE what they bought, but try as I might, a Cabbage Patch Doll at age 23 is not what I want...or need...and then, they get their feelings hurt when I can't come up with a gushing praise right away. And they refuse to buy gift cards. They insist on gifts that they like (yes, these are the same people who refuse to look at wedding gift registries and buy towels that match nothing else in the house) and not that the receivee may adore.
So, my mother put in a request early for a Christmas wish list. The following is what I'll send my sister to deliver to my parents/grandma/brother:
-guitar strap that will match a baby-blue guitar
-Sex and the City Season 3 (the only one I'm now missing)
-bed tent for a 2004 Ford Ranger Edge, which can be purchased through Ford
-x-large underwear from abercrombie kids [don't ask why I still shop at kids' stores...especially for underwear]
-small underwear, boystyle, from American Eagle [my parents and grandparents will always insist on buying me underwear, and it's much easier requesting these than thongs from VS]
-size 6 Nike shox (my current ones are about two years old)
-spaghetti-strap camisole/tank tops with built-in shelf bras
-medium mesh shorts for running
-air fresheners that Gabe bought for me last year
And that's about it. Bet I'll still get a light-weight sweater.
Wednesday, November 02, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
hahaha my dad ALWAYS gets his feelings hurt when I don't like what he bought me, which is usually. Last year, I requested a very specific comforter from Urban Outfitters.com, said I don't like bed-in-a-bags b/c I think they're old-lady-like, and what'd i get? a floral bed-in-a-bag from JC Penny. Oh well. xo, Tina
I think last year was the first year where I finally said screw it to the whole gift thing. Didn't get anyone anything, and didn't want anything in return. I remember when my Mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I just replied, "I just want to come home and see my friends and family." I guess moving out of state will do that to ya. Needless to say I got to go home and it was sweet. That's a good list you got going though, I knew you were a Sex in the City fan.
I know, Tina...we love our folks, but they just don't understand.
And I would much rather get nothing from my folks, but they insist on buying me things (last year, they paid for my ticket home, but said they still wanted to get me "something"). I would rather have it be a Thanksgiving Part Deuce, but nobody else in the family will have that.
So, instead of having them waste their money on clothes I'll never wear, knick knacks I'll never put up, or lotions I'll never use, I send a list.
Post a Comment