I still have not begun my novel. I told myself that I would start it this week. Luckily, I've been tied up at work and not feeling much like writing my memoirs. See, as much as I love this blog, I know that writing about my personal life, especially for a national audience, leaves me vulnerable (remember, that feeling that I absolutely loathe?).
Nobody that I know has actually read my first published personal essay (recently came out in an October magazine issue), and I'd kind of like to keep it that way. The guy has asked a couple of times to see things I've written. I kind of blow it off and pretend I don't have anything around the house for him to read. (And he definitely doesn't know about the blog) My roommates have asked a few times to read articles as well. "I'll get my clips out for you later," I usually tell them. When people actually do read what I've written, I'm surprised, and then I question whether I actually should have written it.
Because, well, writing I can't take back. And it shows a lot of who I am. And others can probably figure out when you mention them, despite clever name changes. Such as I'm sure "cute IT boy" figured out his moniker when he found the blog today. (I knew google would mean the end of my anonymity)
Note to self: IT people spend all their time on computers. Writing about them on your blog=them finding it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yes, IT boy did read it...provided good lunch-time fodder. I'm working on a web page for freelancing, so my clips will be up soon. (Hey maybe IT boy can help with that...)
But, I've given up on anonymity. I realized that some things I was quoted in during college kept coming up when googling my name. And well, I think the general public doesn't care about the appearance of objectivity. I like to think I can be objective, though...and I hope others can see that. Through my sarcasm.
Post a Comment