Sunday, October 30, 2005

daylight-saving time

I really don't understand the purpose of this. I think I remember reading once that it started as a way for school kids to get to school in the mornings, and daylight-saving time provided ample time for them to walk to school in the light.

But, really, now. I don't know any kids who walk five miles to school anymore. It's useless, and I think people want to keep it just to remember when to check the batteries in their smoke alarms. And the AP and the rest of the world can't agree on punctuation, grammar, and capitalization of it. So, maybe I should be like parts of Indiana and refuse to observe it.

4 comments:

Thoroughly Amused said...

Or Arizona. But come on now we all know that you love the fact that you got an extra hour of sleep this morning. I just think they should do it in the middle of the week so when your alarm goes off at 6 in the morning you can hit snooze for an hour.

Anonymous said...

the injustice of it all... ;)

Michelle said...

You know what I didn't understand is how a state can refuse to do something that is nationally recognized. It is like Arizona and Martin Luther King Day. Damn our founding fathers inventing federalism! (I knew I would one day be able to use that word outside of class.)

Anonymous said...

It actually had to do with agricultural growth patterns and harvest times. But go ahead and weave yourself a tale and spin it to be true. These are the things of fantasies, of unicorns and apricots and light blue. The woman in the shoe? All of her kids got the flu, boo hoo hoo. Now go, ye, dine in the belly of the walrus, goo goo ga choo.