After my long weekend back to the big MO of the Midwest, I've been reminded of just how much I adore my home state. Summer and fall are my favorite seasons in the Show-Me State, and the leaves around the Valley were just beginning to turn autumn colors. The whole state smelled of sports--MU suffering (yet another) saddening loss to a no-name team and the Cardinals finishing up their final season in the current/old Busch Stadium.
Although it was for a not-so-happy event, I still got to see much of my extended family, and I was glad to have spent a few hours with relatives from all over the states. I was also happy seeing so many friends from the past. I was reminded just how much my friends mean to me and how giving they are as well. I hung out with An three times over the weekend; I was extremely impressed by Nicole and Dan's work at the Moxie (if Brad Pitt ever DOES show up, I will have a heart attack as soon as I read it on her blog); and Mel made a spur-of-the-moment trip to the Gateway City to have a Sunday morning breakfast with me. Sunday night I ended my trip doing one of my favorite Missouri activities--stargazing. My brother, dad and I went up to the lookout point at Taum Sauk, and I saw two shooting stars--don't think my wishes came true, though. Of course, I can't tell you what they were, but just being out in the open summer night air was enough for me.
Although I love LA, I know I'm a country girl at heart. When leaves changing colors, shooting stars and friends and family can make one this happy, it's easy to tell who's been raised outside of the cities. One of my favorite weekend activities was snapping green beans with my grandma and Uncle Pete. Mmm . . . fresh green beans. By the way, did I mention that I had fried okra and toasted ravioli, too??? And brought back a bottle of Pink Catawba and two of Riverboat Red? Yep. Missouri at its finest.
Monday, September 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
i miss missouri! :( Glad you had a great time, though! There's no place like home! xo, Tina
Oh my word...Riverboat RED! I am dreaming of it hitting my lips as we speak!
"It feels so good when it hits your lips!"
Nicole--I LOVED visiting you. I hate those pesky park rangers. Something similar happened to me in high school. I asked him how we were supposed to see the sign that said "no trespassing after dark" when it was dark. He didn't asnwer us.
Tina--won't you go home soon?
Michelle--Riverboat is for my winery memories; I can't wait to open one up! The Catawba is for when I'm stressed; I can't wait to open one of them up soon either . . .
I had so much fun with you! I always get so sad when we have to part. Like I said, Saturday was "off the chain!" That is, in a mellow, hanging out kinda way. You are such a great friend and I can't wait until we hang out again. Miss you! Move back to MO or stay in L.A. (California is the state that I visit the most).
riverboat red is my favorite! :)
Post a Comment