Saturday, June 25, 2005

The Beginning of the End

I guess I really am finished with teaching. Verizon took my teacher discount off my phone bill this month. I called to find out why (how could they already know???). Turns out LAUSD didn't renew their Verizon contract. Rats. I thought I was going to be able to mooch off that discount forever. As much as the $20 a month will be a pain, that's not the saddest part of leaving.

I really will miss my students. Yesterday I was reminded of the good parts of teaching. First period started with a student bringing me papusas and empanadas. Mmm. I should have started hinting at my love of food much earlier. When 3rd period left yesterday, they all gave me hugs. They're so cute! Due to culmination rehearsal, I won't see my 2nd or 3rd period again. Third period has a special place in my heart. They try every way possible to figure out if I'm married (who knows what ever gave them that idea); they make farting sounds when I bend over, and I laugh. Then at lunch, the PE teacher told me my 2nd period kids stuck up for me when he started bagging on me during class. How can you not love kids like that?

Just as much as I'll miss my students, I'll miss my co-workers. Teaching is an odd job in the fact that you don't see your colleagues but for 35 minutes a day. Whereas most professions allow you to meet new friends and dating prospects at work, teaching makes that much harder. But I love my fellow B-track teachers! Just being around them makes me happy. When even one is missing, lunch is completely different. They are all wonderful people with wonderful problems and even more wonderful advice. I think what best summarizes my friendship with them is that I feel like a better person for knowing them -- they help me improve my weaknesses and they never fail to tell me when I look nice, do something well at school or make them smile. They are the kind of friends everyone needs.

Yes, I am sad and getting sentimental. Perhaps if I had another job on the horizon, I wouldn't feel quite so melodramatic. And, that Verizon discount would make me feel a little better, too.

3 comments:

divinspiration said...

Hand me a tissue...sniff...well, at least you'll be back in So. Cal. in a few months. You are taking time off to do what you need to do. The internship at the inner-city baseball place is very important. You have a calling and you are slowly finding out what it is. We will miss you too, but we have developed friendships and created memories that will last a lifetime.

Seriously, if you are 45 and divorced and need to sleep on my couch (at my mansion, or borrow one of my Ferraris) I will be glad to oblige. All you have to say is "Me no speekee Engleesh" and go "hee hee hee" while covering your mouth and looking down. You are so awesome!!!

jaynar said...

JRey and Celina -- this is why I will miss you. You all are wonderful! Nicole -- the PE teacher and I have a bit of a joking-type relationship. We pretend we don't get along, but it's all in fun. He was trying to get them to tell me "Ms. Rust, you're the worst teacher EVER!" Haha, though. It didn't work. Next week I plan on bringing some cake and asking him to "smell it" before smashing it in his face.

Anonymous said...

oh yes... mizzou has a sprint discount which saves me $100+/year. so hoping they don't find out if we leave - eek!