Wednesday, June 22, 2005

One Year Ago

Today is the Civil War Fair at school. My students are complaining I did not take them. We have work to do, and I tell them last year's students were bored and hot and complained the whole time that they would rather have stayed in class and worked.

I don't tell them the real reason. Last year's Fair was one of my most traumatic teaching experiences. Wandering through the boothes, I happened upon a group of 8th grade boys. One had his pants down and was taking pictures of his pork and beans with someone's digital camera. I took the camera to the Dean, and many of the boys were suspended; the sick feeling in my stomach never went away. I'm getting nauseated thinking about it even now. It's clear I won't ever relate to Mary Kay Letourneau.

3 comments:

divinspiration said...

Never heard it called pork and beans! Yeah, here's what the civil war fair looks like: kids are ditching everywhere and Mr. Cortez is yelling at everyone to move out of the way, and the old civil war guys are all drunk and sweaty, and the kids are showing off their developing bodies in those very cleavage-revealing ball gowns.

Other kids are pulling little pranks like taking extra food and stuffing it in their pockets, or taking the props from the play, or stealing the little egg-babies the kids are "raising" for science class. The civil war fair is a hotbed of subversive, underhanded behavior. I am not at all surprised that students would take photos of their genatalia. You can only take so many photos of Abe Lincoln and girls in push-up bra dresses!!!

But seriously, though, that is not a joking matter. That is sexual harassment and has traumatized you for life! Kids are kids but they need to be raised to learn appropriate decorum. I don't think they will ever do that again, but you had to unfortunately see it. I also cannot even imagine my students in that way. I was shocked to learn that my own brother has a penis. Ewwwwwww. Some things are just wrong!

Anonymous said...

dude, why do these things always happen to you? You are a magnet for weird experiences. No wonder you are a writer.

divinspiration said...

Your next blog should be about the swingers! Amy is right - you are a magnet for wierd experiences!