Sunday, December 10, 2006

We Do It Up High and Down Low

Someone please tell me...when did I become the High-Five Girl?

I've always known that I'm a tomboy. I've come to accept that. I know I've got a lot of guy friends. I even have started to accept that I may be someone difficult to show emotion to. But really is the high-five the only thing I warrant from all guys?

Don't get me wrong now...I love a good high-five every now and then. We used to do it all the time when I played high school sports. In college my fellow MU fans high-fived often throughout the football and basketball seasons. Even now, I'll expect a good high-five from a fellow Cards fan when Molina does something amazing on the screen before us. But when it comes to guys I'd like to "score" with (hahaha, couldn't resist the pun), the high-five...I mean what is that?

The first time I got a high-five recently I was listening to this guy speak about his new project. When I asked him a question, I could've sworn we had a moment (or at least a nanosecond) where we locked eyes; I was thinking, "Holy cow, this guy is adorable AND idealistic AND passionate! Wow. That's sexy." (Although he was probably thinking, "Holy cow, this girl is a Teach For America alumni AND thinks what I'm doing is important AND is Asian! Wow. I love Korean BBQ.") But as he left in a bit of a hurry, he decided not to thank each person individually. Still he came by, said something about keeping up what I was doing (or something like that) and walked toward me with a hand held high in the air. I high-fived it. He left. And I've hardly heard from him since.

My current crush must have been at the same "how-to-greet-Jaynar-seminar" and has recently decided that a high-five is a great way to talk to me. Sure, we sometimes talk about sports, but that's not when these hand slaps come about. Oh, no, it's more like, "Hey, how was your weekend? [insert high-five here]" or "I'm back! [insert high-five here]." Still there've been no, "Want to go to *** with me? [insert high-five there]."

And today, I got a myspace invite from a college friend. His myspace headline is "I like you. Do you like me? High-five!" Granted, this isn't from one of my current boys on the side. But still...it pretty much says the same thing to me..."We're friends. Hit me up high, baby!" And I guess what it does is leave me wondering...will I always be the guys' ol' buddy, ol' pal who hits them up high? [Then I think maybe I should stop calling guys "my buddy, my pal, and champ..."]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay girlie, we somewhat have opposite problems. Every guy seems to think that I want to sleep w/ him and I'm always like ewwww. We'll have to exchange tactics and discuss what we're doing wrong (or right). But there is some good news. I guarantee that a very cute, very awesome guy friend of mine and yours does NOT consider you as a high five girl and told his guy friend that he is looking forward to seeing you when you come in town. I will fill you in. Just remember, you da bomb. Oh yeah, up high!