Twenty-five has come and gone. At age 24, I was sure that my quarter-century year would be a year of amazing things. Yet, here I am 26, and I did nothing more amazing than organize a friend's birthday lunch over the past year.
And I'm constantly reminded (by myself) that Martin Luther King, jr. was 25 when he led the Montgomery Bus Boycotts. He didn't let his youth stop him. But as my writing mentee once told me, "You can't compare yourself to Martin Luther King, jr." I suppose she's right.
But I still want to make a difference. Even if I'm 26.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think about that all the time. I feel like I haven't done anything with my life yet and I am wondering when I will.
It's the idealist in me I guess...
BTW...If you want to go to El Paso and we can find some cheap flights and tickets, I have family we could stay with
Take not ye cherished sorrows and hungry grief, and weigh them against the feats of thy brethren. Tis vanity exposed; selfishness unleashed. The soul's content is not the public's awe. Do unto no one without (your)self.
For what it's worth, Grandma Moses didn't start painting until she was in her 70s, so you've still got plenty of time to make your mark!
Post a Comment