Sad, sad news this week. Thursday morning on my drive to work, I turned my radio station on to 93.9. But it wasn't the normal programming. Country station KZLA (the No. 1 position on my preset stations) had been taken over by Top 40 hits. Yuck. I can get that anywhere. But 93.9 was the only country station I could get in L.A. Apparently parent company Emmis Communications thought the likes of Nick Lachey and Black Eyed Peas would do better for ad sales.
Granted I'm not in the insides of the business, but this seems like an extremely unwise move. I can get Mariah Carey anywhere. But my Rascal Flatts fix? And didn't anyone at Emmis take a look at concert sales lately? According to Billboard's latest chart, four of the top 10 grossing concerts this past week were by country artists...granted they were all the Tim and Faith combo...but that should still say SOMETHING for the genre. Looking at album sales, country music seems to be doing well there, too...so I don't get this take over. And now I have no way to know when the new country songs come out.
To show my frustration, I took 93.9 off my preset stations, and I'll be boycotting the top 40 station. I want my country!
Sunday, August 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Though I can't stand country music, I feel your pain. My friend at school was in shock as well. I can't believe there was no warning either, like people didn't need time to prepare.
Both are a crime...and were totally without warning...and believe me, you need a warning for both.
Post a Comment