Sunday, May 07, 2006

This Person Is Under Construction

I am not the writer I want to be. I don't have clever lines, I rarely evoke emotions, and I need to better organize my thoughts. This is what I have realized in the last three months. But as self-deprecating as that sounds, I'm OK with that. Because in the last month, I've realized there are few writers who are "born writers." Most writers, and especially those whose work I enjoy reading, honed their craft. Few great works of the 20th century and beyond have been produced by writers under the age of 25. So, as I write, I have to remember that I should constantly work at improving my writing, and my writing will improve. My writing, and my career, is a work in progress.

As is the rest of my life. If I were the girl who could make every wonderful guy fall for her, I would be married now. Or I would be constantly breaking guys' hearts. And I want neither of those. Instead, I must realize that my relationship skills and my ever-so-charming personality are works in progress.

And if I were the amazing, completely life-directed Christian I want to be, I'd probably be in Heaven and dead.

But I'm alive. Wonderfully alive. And OK with who I am, but working to be better.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love the title of this post. You are very cleaver that you have to realize that I love being friends with you because you have things that I lack. If not we would never still be friends. We, as people, can't be everything...and that's ok!

Thoroughly Amused said...

I think you're pretty great just the way you are.