I pulled into the church parking lot just as the sun was setting yesterday. A big part of me didn't even want to be there. I figured I'd been so stressed out lately, though, that church was a good thing.
The service was like always. Nothing spectacular. Lots of telling parishioners that we should have faith that God gives us obstacles that he knows we can handle. Our character and skills may not seem of use now but they serve some purpose down the road...yada, yada, yada. Yet, despite my eye rolling, part of me started feeling better. In fact, when I left the parking lot at 7:30, I felt the best I had in weeks.
As I drove home, I began to wonder just why I felt so much better. There was nothing amazing in the evening's message. I began to wonder why church and religion are comforting to me. Part of me thinks that religion is just an easy way to say that life is out of your hands, so stop worrying about it. Another part of me wonders if people like me believe because it's easier to believe that someone larger than life does care for you and have a grand plan for you rather than think that this is it, and you're the only one looking out for you.
I don't really know why I believe what I believe. But if that's what makes me happy, who am I to argue?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So interesting J! I went to church for the first time really since my dad died and even since college last week for Ash Wednesday. The same things passed through my head.
Then I came to a conclusion when I was leaving. We all want to be part of something bigger than us. If we have to go through all the pain and misery that life brings and don't have some bigger plan to believe in then it all seems like a whole lot of nothing.
Maybe God exsists...I think he does but religion is to help us realize that there is more than one of us going through this shitty life!
Post a Comment