Friday, December 16, 2005

Naked Nina News

Nina has landed! According to reports from her parents, Nina was scheduled to land TODAY in Minnesota. She will be back in Iowa at the end of this week.

For those who don't know Nina, she's quite possibly the most amazing person in the world. She has just finished her two-year stint in the Peace Corps in the land of Togo. She worked two-and-a-half years with MU Res life and was one of the only roommates I ever had who I could share any and all belongings with. She is also one of those people that had the uncanny ability to make me smile no matter how rotten my day...just by being her. Not silly. Not overly optimistic. Just Nina.

She's one of the most inspirational people I know. When I made a list of things that inspired me, Nina was written down. She was one of two people who were "things" on that list. She makes me want to be a better person.

In honor of Nina's return, I'll list my favorite thoughts on Nina:
1. just like every other girl I know from Iowa, she drove a Grand Prix in college
2. her license plate said JPII...in honor of the then Pope
3. she loved Shakey's (Shake's) almost as much as I did
4. she loved Harpo's almost as much as I did (OK, that's probably a lie...I don't think anyone loved Harpo's as much as I did)
5. she ran a marathon
6. she was brilliant but didn't stress about grades
7. she was on RLife with me
8. she worked at the Missourian with me
9. Fayette became like a second home to her when she covered it
10. she was a strict C.A.
11. she broke the rules
12. W.T. Hoover
13. convincing her that she told Richard a story that she hadn't
14. introducing me to Drew
15. baseball games
16. introducing me to Heather
17. introducing me to my junior/senior college roommates -- who became some of my closest college friends
18. calling her dad for help with our magazine
19. playing cards with her sisters and An at her Stephen's apartment
20. getting a great going-away present as I embarked on teaching
21. telling Nina to watch out for the ice by Fieldhouse...then falling on my butt
22. eating at Booche's with her fam
23. lots of Sunday evening's at Boone Tavern
24. stories I heard about her from Freshman year
25. It's Nina. There are so many things to love!

1 comment:

Amy F. said...

Harpo's. Obviously.

Also, walking across campus after mag editing. For some reason, I had a class in Rothwell, and weren't you in Natural Resources or someplace equally ridiculous? And Nina went to Brady. I don't know why I remember this so clearly. But anyway, good times.