As my debt and bills continue to pile up, I thought about how much money it would take to make me financially happy. On my way to an event for the non-profit for which I volunteer, I started adding up how much money I would need in order to have what I wanted for myself and give what I wanted to others. $5 million was the approximation I came up with. "Whoa! That's a lot!" I thought.
Then I came home, and my roommates suggested they would need more. One said $15 million. When we walked by a Santa Monica condo last night that was for sale for $1.28 million, I realized she may be even more realistic...
So, what exactly would I do with my $5 million?
For myself:
-pay off student loans and car loan
-buy a three-bedroom or two-bedroom with a home office house in South Redondo
-do that stinking around the world trip
For family:
-build my parents a three-bedroom one-level home that is easily accessible for my mother and near the woods or a lake
-pay off my parents' car loans
-buy my sister a two-bedroom home in St. Louis
-put money aside for Trina to go to med school if she wanted
-put money aside for Gabe to go to college
For others:
-give four-year scholarships to any of my past students who attend college
-donate money to WriteGirl
-donate money to Harlem RBI
For career:
-finance Tim's latest venture (not because he's my friend, but because I think he has a great idea)
-launch my own consumer magazine
-launch RLife
Sunday, December 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
what is RLife? I must know! :)
Damn, I'd take 100 grand, 200 tops.
Yeah, what's RLife?
yeah i could definitely use the relief of getting out of debt. credit cards. i despise them!!! xo, Tina
PS you're a generous sweetheart, you know that? ;)
RLife=a great idea for a trade publication. It was the name of the magazine that three of us (Nicole included) put together a business plan for during a magazine publishing class. It definitely needs to be done.
I totally know where you are coming from with figuring this out. I always wish that I could leave some waitstaff person a $50 tip one night just to be nice and I would love to start an urban revitalization program here in the city of Detroit. I just feel like I will never financially be able to do this but I guess if this is really my goal then I should save up and risk everything for it. If not....why am I even here?
Post a Comment