Sunday, November 27, 2005

Quality Time at the Canyon

My first time at the Grand Canyon. I heard parents telling their kids great things:
"If your mom told you to jump into the Grand Canyon, would you?"

"Be careful! If you trip and fall into the Canyon, that wouldn't be good."

"I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be mean and yell at you. I was just scared something would happen to you...but we're never talking about this again. Ever."
"Ever?"
"EVER!!!"

What I noticed about license plates:
I like that Iowa puts the county of registration on the plates.
Most state's have boring designs.
Many states have more than one design.
The colors of Nevada's plate look OK depending on the color of the vehicle to which it is affixed.

What I decided about family vacations (if I ever have a "family"...):
My kids are never playing video games during the vacation.
My kids will, however, have film and/or digital cameras to record their own memories of the vacation.
Families who travel with other families with kids the same age are much happier.
My kids will be able to bring headphones to listen to their choice of music from the car's backseat.
My husband will drive while I sleep.
I will not force my kids to go on vacations that I want to go on or that I think will be educational.
I will, however, force my kids to go on vacations that I think they'll enjoy.
Although I swore to never say the things my parents did, I still have a feeling, I'll say things like, "If Trina told you to jump off a bridge, would you do that?" during family vacations.

Pictures of the Grand Canyon Thanksgiving Weekend Adventure to come.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Ok so you definitely had a more interesting Thanksgiving than I did!

Thoroughly Amused said...

If Trina told me to jump off a bridge I'd do it.

Amy F. said...

I like that Iowa does that, too! That's how I learned all 99 counties! (Hey, I'm a copy editor.)