I went through 24 1/2 years of my life without any long-term relationships, and I was more than happy about it. Nobody began to question it until about two years ago. But I was OK with it. Then I met Andy about a year ago. He's what I call a "lifer" . . . where every date turned into a long-term relationship; he recently became fianceed! He couldn't understand why I hadn't ever ventured into the land of girlfriend status. To me it was pretty simple. I just hadn't.
And I was OK with that. Until Anand came along (what is it with these two-syllable "A" guys???). Somewhere in one of our conversations this summer the topic comes up that I've been perpetually boyfriendless (I was more than willing to talk about this at any given time, it seems). Very casually he asks me if I feel weird about that, "because pretty much everyone by 25 has been in at least one long-term relationship." I quickly replied that I didn't care, but then I mentally began going through the list of people I knew in my head. Dang it! He was right. So I started to wonder a little bit. I started to feel like a social pariah.
Now I feel a bit like the 40-year-old virgin. Best if I don't talk about my lack of a past. 'Cause thanks to Andy and Anand, I do feel a little peculiar. Geez. Thanks, guys.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Trust me when I tell you that all the long term relationships that I have wasted my time with up to this point were exactly that a waste of time. I would have rather spent that time being single.
Post a Comment