I was born to a poor mother who did not want to raise me (for whatever reason--could have been selfish or selfless for all I know). However, because of the wonders of adoption I was placed in a fabulous home in rural MO. But because many people still see adoption as a bit of a stigma and because life is cruel, some people are without opportunities. Without adoption as an outside escape, how much does where and to whom we're born influence the opportunities life grants us?
An LA friend and I went to see the "Born into Brothels" photo exhibit today. The photographs were OK; I was glad to have seen them, but I can't want to rent the movie this fall. They were showing it, and I was mesmerized for the thirty minutes I watched. Truly, this movie captured the fact that:
1. where we are born is a large determinate of our fate unless someone from the outside intercedes on our behalf
2. self-expression is one of the most amazing facets of human nature
3. journalism--documentaries, photography, writing--can make a difference in one person's life and in the entire world
It (and my recent chats with friends) also reminded me that the world is so much bigger than Jaynar. There is a world that I want to influence and petty things like rent, a car, laundry, etc. shouldn't influence the life path I feel I'm meant to take. Geez. Just how do you get to a life path? I wish I'd been born on one of those.
Thursday, August 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Love, you're on a life path. You've done more influencing than many twenty-somethings I know. When I was little, besides my parents, teachers were my greatest influence. You've taught kids who need great teachers more than anything. This is only the beginning for you. Don't be that girl who always said she'd write a book, and then never did it. You've got it in you. xo, T
Post a Comment