Saturday, August 06, 2005

Big-People Birthdays

In the last week, I've attended two birthday parties organized by the birthday-ee. My friendster page tells me that at least six friends have birthdays this month. I guess my pals' Midwest parents had to keep themselves entertained in between the holidays--thus 24 years later giving me many birthdays to celebrate. Parents' sex lives aside (I can talk about this--I'm adopted; you all who aren't have to actually acknowledge your parents did "it" at least once--I can keep pretending they never did), birthdays are such an odd event. What are they really celebrating? Is it a hope that you'll live another year longer? Is it a celebration of the past year? A celebration of the person's life? Is it people getting together and telling someone how special they are? Is it someone getting all their friends together to feel special? Is it someone getting all their friends together because it is an excuse to hang out? Although I've personally been through 24 of these things, I still haven't figured it out yet.

Last night as I left the evening's festivities with the birthday girl, we had a conversation about birthdays and people fussing over them. She had had a good birthday. She was happy so many people came. "You never want to make a big deal out of it yourself, but it's great when other people do." So true. I have been plagued by bad birthdays (which have included death, me crying, others crying, etc.), but I suppose when I stopped expecting others to do great things for me, birthdays became OK. Last year I finally got sick of hoping others would do something for me (not that I plan festivities for others' b-days) and planned my own party much like many of my other friends have taken to doing. Maybe that's what has to happen when we get older. We accept that our birthdays are really just like the other 364 days of the year. If we want McDonald's on our birthday, we have to make an appointment with a loved one to take us to McDonald's; if we want to have a party, we have to organize it ourselves; if we want a chocolate ice cream cake, we have to buy it ourselves.

It works, but it sure was way more fun in elementary school--pool parties, sleepovers and cupcakes your mom sent with you to school to share with the homeroom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...v. insightful entry. Yeah, so is it bad I planned not one, but TWO parties for myself? Friday night of course, and then again last night. Last night another August birthday girl and I threw ourselves a party. I hosted the event, she bought us balloons and a cake with our names on it. But you know, that's fine. Everyone had fun. I think it's just an excuse to get friends together. Plus, it's nice that you get to be the "special" one for the evening. Otherwise, it's just another day. xo, Tina

PS Thanks again for coming to my party!! And for dinner, etc.

Anonymous said...

mcdonald's on your birthday - is there anything better? nope!

divinspiration said...

So, for my birthday on Friday (August 12, 1976 - I'll be 29 - the last year of my twenties!), can we have a sleep-over, pool party and cupcakes at school? That sounds good to me!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I haven't been on the internet in quite awhile and I just read your last 4 blogs (this one being the oldest, you might find more feedback on recent posts). I totally don't get the birthday thing. I HATE when people get upset that their friends didn't make some big fat deal about their 23rd birthday or something. What the hell is so good about turning 23? I understand if it's your 21st. Hopefully you and your friends party hearty then, but otherwise just invite people who you want to hang out with. Nobody was in town or everyone was feeling sick on my birthday, so only 4 girls came out and some guys. Yes, it was embarassing like I only had 8 friends, but at the same time I still got crunked and had a good time. Woo hoo, yeah for me!