Today I finally feel like a writer again. Until recently, I forgot about the highs of journalism and writing. We get the little rewards along the way--responses to queries, story assignments, paychecks, story coming out in print--that make all the work seem worth it.
Last night I turned in an article for Scholastic's Instructor magazine. Although I'm not a huge fan of service journalism (don't tell D. Ran!) and would rather write investigative pieces or personal essays, I liked writing it. I feel like stories for this magazine are articles that will help people do better things for themselves and kids. That, and I got to add a little bit of personal essay-esque qualities.
In general, though, I really feel like a true writer again. I find myself doing the things I did in college when I wrote often and actually started freelancing. I have a notebook that I keep with me nearly all the time so I can take down facts, names, dates. I keep a running tab of pitchable story ideas in it. I am actually querying publications again with these ideas. I am applying for journalism jobs.
I'll really feel like a writer when I go to Barnes and Noble next month and see my name in a magazine there. (sidenote: I also expect The Lunch Club to pick up the Instructor issue because I'm telling you now to--you'll be happy you did) Yep, my name should be in two magazines' September issues along with stories I wrote (I'll tell you the other one once I make sure it's coming out in that issue!). Woohoo! I'm a weal witer!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment