Thursday, July 14, 2005

jaynamorphs

Almost as classic as the montage, another cheesy yet (in my opinion) enjoyable part of coming-of-age comedies are the scenes where the character looks in the mirror and a younger (or older) version of the character has a conversation with said character. I would like to participate in the many wardrobe changes of a movie montage, but I would rather sit in on a conversation between 18-year-old me and 24-year-old me.

As I walked past a CVS Pharmacy yesterday, I had to do a double-take at my reflection. I honestly didn't recognize it at first. I quickly began adding up the ways in which my appearance has changed in the last two years. Although I feel like I'm the same, I know I'm a bit different, when my college friends comment on some of the things I wear or how my hair looks. Then, compare that to fresh-out-of-high-school Jaynar, and that's a whole nother story. She was about 7 pounds lighter, had stick-straight hair down to her waist, talked with a country accent, hadn't heard of "bootleg" jeans and thought flannel shirts were the only way to go.

Today, I've realized just how much my personality has changed, as well. There are parts of me that 18-year-old me wouldn't recognize. (We all know what those things are . . . ) But, I've always been idealistic, and I've always been driven to be independent. I have craved a life of simplicity and purity. I have avoided people who chase dreams of money and fame. When I met these types of people I gave them a half of a chance, but no more. Since college I have become plain picky in who I allow into my life. I don't even know if they get half of a chance anymore. When I meet up with people who are not idealists, who are not craving independence, who are not simplistic and pure, and who chase money and fame, I want to run screaming into the hills.

Yes, as I glanced back at my reflection in the window, Jaynar, in all her Seven for all Mankind jeans, Coach purse, curly hair and bold MAC eyeshadow, thought about running away from her image. But then she looked back at her reflection. She still believes the world can be changed. She believes that there are far better things to do with life than we young'uns do. She believes that she has to do something to change the world. Maybe nothing has changed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh, yes. i can say i knew jayna when her hair was down to her waist. can't believe it's curly now???

jaynar said...

Of course you pass my stringent test, Michelle. You are so passionate about the school and kids, and I think that is what first made me want to be around you.

As far as my hair, it's definitely got no natural wave or curl to it. I have a "body wave" . . . you can tell in a few of the pictures I just put up.

Anonymous said...

Wow. This is a killer entry. Knowing that I beat some amazing odds to be your friend, I'll return your phone calls right away, rather than takeing 3 days, b/c I suck at returning calls. :) And even yet more surprising, you wore flannel shirts and had a country accent?! I cannot imagine you in a flannel shirt. xo, Tina