Thursday, January 04, 2007

I Go Back

It's funny how the smallest thing can take us back to a memory or moment (however short or long) in life. Smelling my mom's dressing (AKA "stuffing" to some of you) always takes me back to my parent's dining room table and me sneaking out to do homework, go no. 2, or anything else I could think of to get me out of doing all the Thanksgiving or Christmas dishes. Hearing Janet Jackson's "Control" always takes me back to Epworth and being told I had to "stay below and wash the deck" as my sister and Joy danced above and laughed at my nearly crying face. Watching the annual Mizzou-Illini game always makes me excited about basketball and hopeful of the upcoming season (well except for that year we lost by like 30 points). These are all the things I remembered when I was in MO last month.

And as I realized on this past trip home, it's not just things that can take me back. People can too. Inevitably, when I see my college roommates, I always feel carefree and life just seems to get easier, funnier, and the future seems so far away. When I am with them, I become so much more like the girl I was four years ago. I was even moreso reminded of who that girl was when I saw one of those cute, nice guys from college while at home. I was once again a seemingly confident girl, who knew what I wanted...yet still was able to be left wondering if I'm just too much of a dork, if there's something wrong with me, or why or if I even cared about what he thought of me.

But back in L.A., everything is just as it was before I left...and those memories are once again memories.

No comments: