Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Everything I Need to Know I Learned at Amgen

Sunday I made the 1/2-block trek to watch the Amgen Tour of California leg in Redondo Beach. I saw most of the 10 laps from different places around Redondo. Luckily, there was an announcer as well. Through said announcer, I began to figure out the sport. I finally understood the concept of teams and how heats work for and against you.

I realized the race was a lot like life. At the beginning of the Redondo Beach race leg, everybody looked like they were starting out on equal footing, but in reality others had built an advantage and had the luxury of starting out with a phantom lead. Then, I watched four unimportant leaders from differing teams break away and increase their small-heat lead from just a few seconds to 7 min. 50 sec.; then I saw them completely lose it.

In life, some people start out with an advantage. Then, as we get started in life, some have fresh legs and get a head start, but in reality, those people will eventually begin to tire and lose that lead. They've distanced themselves too far from their team. Those who pace themselves and know themselves and rely on those who know them well are the ones who ultimately succeed.

And that's what I learned this weekend.

PS: New pics are up on the kodakgallery.

No comments: