Yesterday was not spent watching the Super Bowl. Instead I watched gaggles of gals running around, loading themselves up on hair, makeup and nail products. I normally wouldn’t do this, but I attended my first industry trade show this weekend.
One thing that surprised me throughout the weekend was finding out what the people looked like. I’m not just talking about the stylists and techs walking around the showroom floor. I was blown away by everyone. Many look nothing like what I’d imagined. Some were younger, perkier and fresher-faced than I expected, but there were others I thought I knew what they looked like. But I didn’t. I’ve realized quickly that in the beauty industry, most people in the industry have publicity shots…that look nothing like them.
But this isn’t JUST in the beauty industry. When I attended a “meet the teachers” event through mediabistro.com, I was completely stunned when I saw many of the instructors. Their “instructor” photo face was nothing like their real-life face.
And friendster…myspace? They’re both a playground of photo-frenzy people, who put up their “best” photo…which was shot at some weird angle and really looks nothing like the person.
It seems to me that people know this when choosing photos that represent them. Is it that people are so self-conscious they think the real them won’t attract buyers or students or friends from the past? Or is it others telling them, “you would look great like this?” Or is it the fact that maybe they did look like that at one point…but age and gravity took hold, and said person is too ashamed to take a new photo?
Whatever the reason, this saddens me. I think many of these people are beautiful in their own way and how they are…and their confidence to show that would only make them more attractive.
Alas. I realize my myspace photo is nearly two years old (but was put up less than two weeks ago)…my friendster photo is nearly 10 years old…and my professional writing Web site features photos that are really jokes. I tell myself I did that so others wouldn't see glam Jayna, expect that, then be disappointed. But maybe that whole train of thought is just as bad as putting up a glam Jayna picture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I know I haven't seen you since the summer, but I feel like your photos look like you. You're totally that hot in real life!
Thanks, Amy!
I still haven't figured out what it is about photos that can hurt us so badly, though.
Jayna I couldn't agree with you more. When I wrote about finding Justin's ex online the first thing I went to was her myspace.com photo page. And because I know she is out there I am so selective of my myspace.com photo incase she goes to Justin's page and finds me. How sad is it that this is what I have resorted to? It is good to know I am not the only one though.
Post a Comment