Friday, September 02, 2005

Is This Bad?

Many things I could be writing about today with that headline . . .

First, is it bad that pretty much half of those who occupy the "my friend space" section of my myspace site are under 16? Yes, one student found me, now they've all requested me as their friend. How traumatizing that would be if I had hit "deny" . . . besides they put up fun comments and often send me messages. Makes me feel like I really made some kind of a difference last year. At least they liked me! Likability didn't matter when I was teaching, but I do like to know that now that I'm sans students.

Now, another "is it bad": that one of those 14-year-olds gave me career advice that I feel I must listen to? When my friends tell me things related to my career, I often feel like their comments and advice are clouded by their own job situation or attitude toward the publishing industry. This girl, however, told me something that I needed to hear. From someone who probably knows me just as well as my closest friends (anytime you see a person every day for 8 months, they get to know a lot about you).

Yesterday, her message told me, "So you still don't know what job you want yet? Well your[sic] still young so just take some time to have fun with finding a job that suits you first ." I guess it really hit home because it's good to know that a high schooler still thinks I'm young enough to not take life that seriously and that I have lots of time to figure it out. And finding a job that suits me will take time. Great advice, ex-student. I taught her everything she knows.

1 comment:

Amy F. said...

I have learned that young people often have an unsullied view of life - and aren't yet afraid to speak the truth, which many older people are.

And, obviously, you taught her everything she knows, so there's that.