I have (temporarily) given up full-time freelancing. Today I signed a contract for a full-time staff position.
Now, before I describe my job, I wanted to tell you a bit more about how I came to be OK with it. If I hadn't taken magazine publishing and been part of the only team to propose a trade publication, I would probably snub my nose at trade magazines. However, after a successful "run" for RLife, I early on became aware of the niceties of trade publications.
Thus, that is part of why I applied for my new position. I will be an associate editor for a trade magazine for owners of nail salons. The office is a 10-minute drive from my house--a commute almost unheard of in Los Angeles. I also get a fun perk--going on "reader calls" to salons. The magazine gives me a little money each month that is to be spent getting my nails done at one of our readers' salons. As far as the actual job goes, I think it will be a lot of responsibility, and that excites me: I'll be writing a couple of features a month and working on front-of-the-book pieces and maybe working some with freelancers.
This will be my last week of freedom--I start on Monday. Wish me luck. If I didn't tell you this on the phone, it's either because you didn't answer or because I have other things that are occupying my thoughts. I apologize. See "The Bad" for what else I'm referring to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I got your call, but was right in the middle of something. I will call you this weekend to talk about it. Congrats! At least someone I know has a job! But now who am I going to IM with in the middle of the day?
WOWW!! Congrats Jayna! I'm jealous...still on the job hunt back here in NY...bleeeeeh.
WOW!! Congrats Jayna! I'm so happy for you, it sounds like it'll be a fun job! xoxo, Tina
sorry i didn't get the phone when you called - was on a plane somewhere between texas and missouri. blah.
so excited for you girl - will try and give you a call tonight! :)
Post a Comment