Friday, July 01, 2005

Put it on a shelf . . .

Finally, my room is clean. My laundry is done. I can now begin packing for tomorrow's flight. Needing a break from cleaning, packing and journalism junk, I've decided to discuss something I discovered about myself today.

My life is my bookshelf. It's a cheap light-colored IKEA shelf, but it epitomizes me as a person. Up until today, it was overflowing. There was no room for any new books, and all the ones I needed in there didn't fit. It's like my life. I kept trying to put interesting things in there, but nothing seemed to fit. Until now. Done with teaching, LMU and TFA, I cleaned out the un-needed binders, professional development books and such. Everything that needed to fit, now does. It now has room for more.

More than a metaphor, it also says everything about who I am, where I've been, what I love and where I dream of going. There are three Bibles (one of mine, two from my dead aunt in which I've found notes 6-year-old Jayna wrote her), Shel Silverstein books, a book on NY nightlife, East Coast photo books, many books of non-fiction, fiction books that are supposed to sound like they're non-fiction, a book about living in our 20s, books and magazines that I've been published in, 1/2 a shelf of journalism and writing books, a personal journal, my WriteGirl journal of writings, a notebook of poems I wrote in high school that nobody else has read, scrapbooks from college, a book on educational inequity, a dictionary. There is one book about love -- a memoir of a journalist who goes searching for the five men who broke her heart. There is a guide to screenwriting. There is another memoir of a man who's been paralyzed and left unable to speak who is looking back on his life -- he is not wistful; he is content. I love it. I've read it three times already. Writing about it, I think I want to read it again.

So, yes, as much as I hide who I am and what my dreams are, anyone can really find it out. You can peruse my bookshelf (or read my blog).

1 comment:

divinspiration said...

The LC. I can see it now as a television series. Even more dramatic than the OC. Yes, we will miss you. But you are still with us, both memorialized in our hearts and in the fifth dimensional realm of cyberspace!

I want to read those poems you talked about in this blog!!!