Saturday, June 18, 2005

Apparently I Need a (Wo)Man

So, by the time we made it to the lunch table yesterday, there was some passion in the conversation. Michelle tries to tell me love is not a game. I say I'm not looking for love. Then, we try to figure out what I am looking for. As far as looks go, we pretty much decided he's a guy, with hair, who wears t-shirts some of the time.

Michelle kept pushing my "intimacy issues" (as she calls them), and thus we had to unravel the type of man I would be attracted to. Basically, I look at love and relationships much like a guy does. I don't want to put in a lot of effort (unless the person is really worth it), and think people come and go. I don't really get attached and don't really do all that emotional stuff. Marriage has never been an end-goal or fantasy (yes, it will probably happen someday), and I'd rather live my life first. With this knowledge, Jimmy decided I need a guy who needs me. He has to be emotionally dependent upon me, which we decided was usually how the woman acts in these male/female relationship-thingies you all speak of. However, because of my "traditional" ideals, he also has to appear to be more of a man than me (although I can do these things: he has to change my flat tires, eagerly plunge a toilet and move all the heavy things). He has to pretend he's not emotionally dependent on me (I can't handle clinginess), but he's going to have to need me. Or no lovey-lovey for me.

After-lunch topic: Do we care so much about relationships because we're teachers?

3 comments:

jaynar said...

I tried. I knew you wouldn't like it. What would you suggest? OCD? College roomies', ex-boyfriend's, baby's daughter's sister? I kind of like that one.

Anonymous said...

I love Can't Hardly Wait.

Anonymous said...

jayna, you crack me up. thanks for tellin' it like it is... yes, clinginess is a total turn-off. but our "perfect" guy can't pretend ALL the time, I don't think. some romanitc gestures (just to know we're appreciated!) would be nice every so often. ughh, is it ever possible to achieve the "perfect" balance?